The following biography is taken from the book titled: Pictorial Souvenir, The Borough of Red Lion, York County, Pennsylvania, Golden Jubilee, 1880-1930, June Seventh to Fourteenth, inclusive : Fifty Years of Progress:
J. B. Herrman has played an important part in the history of Red Lion. Born in Windsor Township, 1857, he moved at first to Lower Windsor Township near Esat Prospect, and in March, 1883, to Red Lion, where he worked for Henry Sevis at bricklaying. In 1884, he was elected a Justice of the Peace and has been re-elected eight successive terms, serving continuously for 46 years. During the same year, he was chosen Borough Councilman, and elected Borough Secretary. He, likewise, served as a director on the Borough School Board of Education for one term and was its Secretary during that time. In 1890, he drew up the plans of and built the Charles Street School House (Belfry School). The bricklayers who worked for him at that time were Milton Smith, William Paules, Adam E. Kohr, the principal helper being William H. Olp. He likewise assisted in the erection of St. Paul’s Evangelical Church in drawing up the plans and helping at bricklaying. In 1905, J. B. Herrman took up the surveying profession and was appointed borough surveyor of Red Lion, Dallastown, Yoe and Windsor for many years.
He succeeded J. A. Miller as Borough Secretary, which office he held until relieved by Arthur McGuigan in 1926. As Justice of the Peace, he specialized as a conveyancer of Real Estate, executing thousands of deeds. In the early days of Red Lion Borough, he was the chosen man for the authorities in consulting attorneys, for which purpose he would have to go to York. This latter work was done gratis.
In September 1892, J. B. Herrman purchased half the interest in a new newspaper partnership. During that same month, the first issue f a weekly newspaper called “The Red Lion Press” was offered for sale. The life of the paper was short as advertising was hard to obtain and they did not have enough subscribers. He withdrew from the business, and the paper died shortly thereafter. In 1893, the printing equipment was sold to him and Robert E. Glenn, who continued the business jointly for a short while. Thereafter, Mr. Herrman carried on the business, admitting his son, C. C. Herrman, into the firm, which was known as J. B. Herrman & Son. In 1902, he sold his interest in the printing business to his son.