Below is some information on many of the One-Room Schools that were located in North Hopewell Township before 1950. We would like to thank the Stewartstown Area Historical Society for providing many of these photos to us.

Brenneman’s School

Brenneman’s School was located on the northwest corner of the intersection of Route 24 and Shangri-La. The school was built sometime between 1876 and 1885. It is not shown on the Beach Nichols 1876 Atlas of York County, but it is listed on a pay scale of Hopewell Township schools from June 1886. The image below taken from the 1915 York County Public Road Map shows the school marked with a circle and a plus sign inside of it.

Fulton’s School

Fulton’s School was located to the north corner of the intersection of Cross Roads Ave, Glessick School Road and Fulton School Road. The school was built in 1887 on land that was owned by W. Fulton. It was sold to Clyde Fulton in 1945. The image below taken from the 1915 York County Public Road Map shows the school marked with a circle and a plus sign inside of it.

Hake’s School

Hake’s School was located on the west side of St. Paul’s Lebanon Lutheran Church on Rippling Run Road. The school was likely built in the late 1840’s or early 1850’s, as the land for the school was sold to Hopewell School District by Jacob Flinchbaugh on September 14, 1849. The image below taken from the 1926 York County Public Road Map shows the school marked with a circle and a plus sign inside of it.

Photo courtesy of Stewartstown Area Historical Society

Hartman’s School

Hartman’s School was located to the north side of Swamp Road (Route 216) just west of Winterstown. The school was built sometime between 1860 and 1876, this is based on the fact that no school is listed at this location on the Shearer 1860 Map of York County but there is a school located there on the Beach Nichols 1876 Atlas of York County. The image below taken from the 1915 York County Public Road Map shows the school marked with a circle and a plus sign inside of it.

Hildebrand’s School

Hildebrand’s School was located to the east side of Mount Olivet Road , just south of where it intersects with Shangri-la Road. The school was built sometime between 1860 and 1876, this is based on the fact that no school is listed at this location on the Shearer 1860 Map of York County but there is a school located there on the Beach Nichols 1876 Atlas of York County. The image below taken from the 1915 York County Public Road Map shows the school marked with a circle and a plus sign inside of it.

Miller’s School

Miller’s School was located on the north side of Millers School Road, just to the east of where it meets Mount Olivet Road. The school was built sometime between 1860 and 1876, this is based on the fact that no school is listed at this location on the Shearer 1860 Map of York County but there is a school located there on the Beach Nichols 1876 Atlas of York County. The image below taken from the 1915 York County Public Road Map shows the school marked with a circle and a plus sign inside of it.

Myer’s School

Myer’s School was located on the north side of Myers School Road, between Swamp Road and Camp Road. The school was built sometime between 1860 and 1876, this is based on the fact that no school is listed at this location on the Shearer 1860 Map of York County but there is a school located there on the Beach Nichols 1876 Atlas of York County. The image below taken from the 1915 York County Public Road Map shows the school marked with a circle and a plus sign inside of it.

Strayer’s School

Strayer’s School was located on Pleasant View Road, near the intersection with Winterstown Road. The school was built sometime between 1860 and 1876, this is based on the fact that no school is listed at this location on the Shearer 1860 Map of York County but there is a school located there on the Beach Nichols 1876 Atlas of York County. The image below taken from the 1915 York County Public Road Map shows the school marked with a circle and a plus sign inside of it.

Photo courtesy of Stewartstown Area Historical Society

Stoney Brook School

Stoney Brook School was located on the southwest intersection of Hain Road and Stoney Brook Road. The school was built sometime between 1910 and 1915, this is based on the fact that no school is listed at this location on the 1910 US Topographical Map but there is a school located there on the 1915 York County Public Road Map. The image below taken from the 1915 York County Public Road Map shows the school marked with a circle and a plus sign inside of it.

Total Page Visits: 35 - Today Page Visits: 1